HP C++ User Documentation
|PRODUCT NAME:||HP C++ Version 7.1 for Tru64 UNIX||SPD 82.38|
HP C++ for Tru64tm UNIX is a native programming language product that generates optimized object code without employing an intermediate translation to C. HP C++ for Tru64 UNIX is based on the ANSI/ISO C++ International Standard, reference designation number ISO/IEC 14882:1998. In addition to this standard, C++ supports the ARM, GNU, and MS dialects. The CFRONT dialect is no longer supported as of this version of the compiler. HP C++ used along with the Developers' Toolkit for Tru64 UNIX offers application developers a complete C++ development environment.
HP C++ includes:
- The native HP C++ compiler, which implements most features of the ANSI/ISO C++ International Standard. HP C++ includes support for automatic instantiation of templates, precompiled headers, and C++ exception handling.
- The highly optimizing, reliable Alpha code generator for speed of generated code.
- The C++ Standard Library, which is an implementation of the ANSI/ISO C++ Standard Library. This library is comprised of a suite of header files and the run-time code needed to implement the string library, numeric limits, auto pointer, exceptions, complex math, and the STL (Standard Template Library). Portions of the C++ Standard Library have been implemented using source licensed from and copyrighted by Rogue Wave Software, Inc.
- The HP C++ Class Library, which is a set of headers and other files implementing a collection of basic C++ classes that are identical to those provided with previous versions of the compiler. This library is provided to support software developers using HP C++ Version 7.1 with software developed previously.
- Features to facilitate porting between HP C++ and other
implementations of the C++ language. The compiler allows you to choose
from several C++ language dialects that have evolved over the past
- the ms dialect for maximizing compatibility with Microsoft's Visual C++ product.
- the gnu dialect for compatibility with the g++ compiler.
- the arm dialect for compatibility with The Annotated C++ Reference Manual by Ellis and Stroustrup. Using this dialect minimizes the source changes necessary for applications that compile with HP C++ Version 5.6.
- the strict ANSI dialect for developers who want to write applications that comply with the C++ International Standard.
- A tool to decode compiler-generated names, which enables other tools (besides the compiler and debugger) to present these decoded names to the user.
Application developers using HP C++ are required to purchase a license for the Developers' Toolkit for Tru64 UNIX. This product provides a set of UNIX development tools that include: a symbolic source-level debugger (Ladebug), ATOM based performance and analysis tools, program analysis tools (profiling and performance analysis), two ANSI conformant C Compilers (including HP C for Tru64 UNIX), reordering tools (cord, feedback, and runcord), and the Porting Assistant, which aids in porting to Tru64 UNIX from other UNIX platforms and from OpenVMS Systems. For further information on these products, please see SPD 44.36.
The Ladebug debugger provides basic debugging capabilities as well as specific support for the C++ language, including function name and operator overloading, C++ scoping, templates, C++ exception handling, multiple inheritance, virtual base classes, and virtual functions. Both window-based and dbx-style command-line interfaces are provided. C++ debugging on Tru64 UNIX is not supported by dbx, only by Ladebug.
HP C++ supports the Tru64 UNIX features of shared libraries and 64-bit computing.
The HP C++ documentation provides comprehensive reference and usage information for all product components. Online reference pages (man pages) are provided with the software, and browser-based (HTML) documents are provided on the Layered Products Documentation CD-ROM for the following manuals:
- Using HP C++ for Tru64 UNIX
- HP C++ Installation Guide for Tru64 UNIX
- HP C++ Class Library Reference Manual
HTML files are provided for the release notes and some of the product manuals for use with a web browser.
Hardcopy documentation is available by ordering the separate software documentation kit.
New Features in this release
- Improved C++ front-end that conforms better to the ISO/IEC C++ Standard
- Better language compatibility with Microsoft Visual C++ in the -std ms compilation mode
- Better language compatibility with gcc in the -std gnu compilation mode
- Availability of the standard C++ library (libcxxstd) as a sharable object (.so) library
- A newer optimizing GEM back-end
- Fixes for several bugs reported since V6.5 was released
- Compatibility with the V6.5 release of the C++ compiler
HP C++ Class Library
The HP C++ Class Library Run-Time components are distributed with the Tru64 UNIX operating system. The Class Library provides the following packages: iostream, complex, generic, objection, stopwatch, string, task, message, and vector.
Run-Time Library Redistribution:
The HP C++ kit includes updated Run-Time Library shareable images. HP grants the user a nonexclusive royalty-free worldwide right to reproduce and distribute the executable version of the Run-Time Library ("the RTL's") provided that the user:
- distributes the RTL's only in conjunction with and as a part of the users's software application product which is designed to operate in the Tru64 UNIX environment;
- does not use HP's name, logo, or trademarks to market the user's software application product;
- includes HP's copyright notice for HP C++ on the user's product disk label and/or on the title page of the documentation for the software application product; and
- agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend HP from and against any claims or lawsuits, including attorney's fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of the software application product. Except as expressly provided herein, HP grants no implied or express license under any of its patents, copyrights, trade secrets, trademarks, or any license or other proprietary interests and rights.
For Tru64 UNIX, the RTL images are designated as:
- libcxx.a, libcxx.so, CXXREDIST630.tar
- cxxl.cat, cxxl_messages.cat
Refer to the HP C++ Version 7.1 Release Notes for Tru64 UNIX for details on how to redistribute the RTL images provided with this HP C++ kit.
Any Alpha system that is capable of running Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0D or later.
Disk Space Requirements
Disk space required for installation:
|On Tru64 UNIX V4.0|
|Root file system:||/ 0 MB|
|Other file systems:||
/usr 50.00 MB
/tmp 50.00 MB
/var 0.00 MB
Disk space required for use (permanent):
|On Tru64 UNIX V4.0|
|Root file system:||/ 0 MB|
|Other file systems:||
/usr 50.00 MB
/var 0.00 MB
These counts refer to the disk space required on the system disk. The sizes are approximate; actual sizes may vary depending on the user's system environment, configuration, and software options.
- Tru64 UNIX Operating System Version 4.0D or later
- Tru64 UNIX Developers' Toolkit, Version 4.0D or later
A license for the Developers' Toolkit is required. It is through this product that application developers gain access to Ladebug, a symbolic source-level debugger, and other useful development tools.
For more information on the Developers' Toolkit, please see SPD 44.36.
This software is only furnished under a license. For more information about HP's licensing terms and policies, contact your local HP office.
License Management Facility Support (LMF)
This layered product supports the Tru64 UNIX License Management Facility.
License units for this product are allocated on a capacity basis, a Concurrent Use basis, and a Personal use basis.
This layered product offers a Personal Use license. Each Personal Use license allows one identified individual to use the layered product.
This layered product offers a Concurrent Use license. Each Concurrent Use license allows any one individual at a time to use the layered product.
For more information on the License Management facility, refer to the Tru64 UNIX Operating System Software Product Description or the License Management Facility manual of the HP Tru64 UNIX Operating System documentation set.
For more information about HP's licensing terms and policies, contact your local HP office.
OPTIONAL SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
This release of HP C++ includes a version of the Ladebug debugger and debugger graphical user interface. This debugger can be invoked through the graphical user interface that is provided.
The minimum hardware/software requirements for any future version of this product may be different from the requirements for the current version. A version update represents a complete distribution media replacement for the previous release of HP C++ binaries. Product changes and functional enhancements in a version update may require the recompilation and relinking of all modules in an application built with a prior version of HP C++ to provide for proper operation with the new release of HP C++.
This product is available on the HP CD-ROM Software Library for HP Tru64 UNIX (QA-054AA-H8) or on a CD-ROM containing only the HP C++ for HP Tru64 UNIX (QA-MTRAA-H8) software and documentation. Documentation in hardcopy format can be ordered separately.
This software is provided by HP with a 90 day conformance warranty in accordance with the HP warranty terms applicable to the license purchase.
- Software Licenses:
Personal Use: QL-MTRAM-2B
Concurrent Use: QL-MTRAM-3B
Unlimited System Use: QL-MTRA*-AA
- Software Media: QA-MTRAA-H8
- Software Documentation: QA-MTRA*-GZ
- Software Product Services: QT-MTRA*-**
- * Denotes variant fields.)
For additional information on available licenses, services, and media, refer to the appropriate price book.
SOFTWARE PRODUCT SERVICES
Various service options are available from HP. For more information, contact your local HP office.
© 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Confidential computer software. Valid license from HP required for possession, use or copying. Consistent with FAR 12.211 and 12.212, Commercial Computer Software, Computer Software Documentation, and Technical Data for Commercial Items are licensed to the U.S. Government under vendor's standard commercial license.
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
|About PDF files: The PDF files on this site can be read online or printed using Adobe® Acrobat® Reader. If you do not have this software on your system, you may download it from Adobe's website.|